Angela's Blog

Tuesday, September 05, 2006

I can't even really believed this happened

F-ing Disaster. These are the words I choose to describe what many would find to be a simple task: getting home from the airport. I flew into DCA after a pleasant weekend in Minot. The weather was beautiful; it was relaxing; I was rejuvenated. Anyway, my flight got in at 10 p.m.—late, but not too bad. I flew into the A (aka old) terminal and stupid Northworst had 3 flights using one baggage claim (of course, there is an empty baggage claim right next to it). It was literally like 6-7 people deep all the way around this small carousel. You couldn’t even see. There was so much baggage coming out that it kept getting backed up coming off the conveyer belt. I waited a good 30 minutes for my bags. That was enjoyable.

Okay next step…transportation. Ed is in NY so I was on my own. Cab, no line is too long. Supper Shuttle…no hate them after a traumatic experience at Dulles last month. I was feeling poor so I decided on Metro. Shuttle buses to the Metro were packed. I’ll walk (not a bad walk btw for DC residents). Get to Metro, have to wait a few minutes, but not bad. Feeling good. Looking forward to my bed. Start to fish around for my keys. Should bag. No, not there. Back pack, no not there either. Suit case. NO NO NO. NO keys anywhere. Crap. (or other choice words). Ed’s not home until Tuesday.

Call Tonya.

No answer.

Call Tonya when I get off at Eastern Market.

No answer.

Call again.

Answer.

Thank God.

“Tonya, remember when we traded emergency keys…”

Tonya vaguely remembers getting our key. I know we have hers. Tonya is cooler than me and was out at a bar. I waited for her to come back. I sat at the bus stop. There was one shady dude. Then another. Then another. I think I might head down into the Metro. Good idea. It’s about 11:45 now. Remember my flight got in at 10:00. Tonya shows up. Bless her.

Walk to Tonya’s. Examine some keys. Very confident these are our keys. Walk to my house (about 10 minutes) with three pieces of luggage. Shoulders hurt. I am tired oh so very tired. I dream about my bed. Fanaticize even. Almost there. Once I am home it won’t matter.

Get there. Try keys. Try again. Try again. DAMN IT. Call Tonya. Phone dies. I had talked to Ed for too long when I was around the shady dudes. Tonya heard that I couldn’t get in before the phone died. She starts walking to my place. I start walking to hers. We meet half way. I slept on her aero bed. Ed’s home tonight and hopefully my keys are there.

So there are always bright side moments to think about:

I had a bed. It wasn’t mine, but it was comfortable and inside. As I struggled with my luggage back to Tonya’s I passed a homeless person nestled in a doorway. Though I was wallowing in my own self pity, I had to admit that it could be worse.
Tonya and I are the same size. I had a skirt and borrowed a sweater for work. I like this sweater. That’s because I own it in a different color.
It was not raining.
I actually had my cell phone and it was mostly charged. HUGE for me. HUGE.
I have good friends who live close and will help out in a pinch.
I did not have to go the bathroom (most likely due to the fact that you can not longer bring on water and they only give you like 3.25 ounces once you get on). It does seem when I have put myself in similar predicaments that they are usually further complicated by the fact that I have to pee.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home