Angela's Blog

Monday, January 29, 2007

Protector of the Pool

So I got into it on my first day of water workouts at our pool.

I hauled my but there at 6:45 a.m. and was feeling pretty good about my new found exercise format.

So I change and get out to the pool...

This guy on the side of the pool is missing a leg and sitting on the edge and working his other leg. He is chatty and talking with alot of people. Obv. a regular. But then he starts chatting with the lifeguard. Immediately my instinct is "you aren't supposed to talk to life guards." Images of the cartoon drawings signs of how you are not supposed to lifeguards pop into my headfrom my childhood days at Roosevelt Pool.

It goes on and he is seriously just talking to him about nothing for serveral minutes.

The pool is busy. It is Olympic size and there is one lifeguard on the stand. I notice a boy about 12 years old in the water next to me.

I tell my self, "Self, if he does it again, say something"

He did it again.

Chatting...chat..chat.. with the life guard.

So I said something to him along the lines of it "you should not be bothering the life guard"

Apparently that was not the best approach because he flipped his sh*t on me, but I seriously didn't care. I answered "the lifeguard's job is to watch the pool and not talk to you" He continues to yell at me and I am not even sure what he said. I just swam away. The pool manager then talked to him (because the dude complained to him that I was something--not sure what) and the manager must have validated me because he stopped talking to the lifeguard.

Sometimes when you get into these situations, which I often do because I have a tendenancy to say exactly how I feel to people I know and don't know alike, I regret it/have a weird riled feeling inside after a confrontation. But this time, I didn't feel that. I really felt that he was wrong and that no one was saying anything.

The people of DC may sleep better tonight knowing that no one will be talking to the lifeguard.

2 Comments:

  • I would just like to note that I emailed Angela this morning to see how the pool was and the response I got was "read my blog." This continues to give credence to my theory that I often learn more about her reading her blog than many other sources...

    By Anonymous Anonymous, At 9:51 AM  

  • As a lifeguard, I am glad you said something. You were absolutely right.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, At 2:19 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home